Decided to kick off the new year by making the source code to Powerslave EX public, which can be found on my Github account. Since now that I barely have time for it anymore, I figured it would be interesting to see who else can do with it.
Additionally, I’ve re-activated my Twitter account and I will be making updates and announcements on there from here on.
Yeah I know, more unrelated news, but figured I mention this anyways since it runs on the same engine that powered PowerslaveEX.
Just in case you were wondering, yes I am still alive and yes this blog isn’t going anywhere (yet). That said, in non-Powerslave related news, Turok EX has finally been announced. I guess you could say this was why I’ve been very quiet the past few months.
And before you even ask about that “other game”, just wait a little bit longer.
Thanks to all that reported bugs. I’ve been reviewing them and will have the majority of them addressed for the next beta release,
which I am anticipating sometime during the weekend or this coming Monday.
Also, 10,000+ visitors!!!
Update: A patch has been uploaded which fixes the bug where player loses his artifacts and gets stuck on the overworld screen after getting the bad ending. Patch can be found here
Update #2: Looks like I’ve been banned from Dropbox for excessive bandwidth. Download links has been updated. Let’s hope Bitbucket won’t mind the traffic…..
Update #3: New download links added. I sincerely apologize about that.
Finally, here it is: the first public release of Powerslave EX. Download link can be found at the downloads page. I have also added a FAQ page as well which should answer everyone’s questions. I would also like to thank everyone who volunteered to play test it and helped identify all of the major issues. Also, included in the package is a addons folder which contains some example mods that you can use. Instructions to use them are provided in the package.
This release is by no means perfect; there will be bugs and lots of other issues that may pop up. Please report any bugs and flaws to kexenginebugsgmailcom. Expect to see patches for this initial release being announced.
Sometime in the future I will be writing up a technical documentation on the console versions of Powerslave and how the game worked as well as document its renderer. I will also be releasing the source code for Powerslave EX sometime in the future as well.
So what’s next? Fixing bugs of course. Tools and extended modding support are also on my to-do list as well as supporting the Saturn and PC versions of the levels. Feel free to ask any questions regarding to modding the beta release on this post.
So here you have it, Powerslave EX.
PS: To former Lobotomy Software developers:
If you ever see this, I’d really like to hear what you guys think about this project. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Also, something that I would really like to do in the future is implement a commentary system. If you guys are interested in providing your stories and experience on this game then definitely I would like to hear from you!
Note that this is only based on the resources required by the application on my end. This could drastically change for other users.
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/8 32-bit
System Ram: 256mb
GPU: Open GL Compatiable Video Card (Must at least support version 1.4 and vertex buffers). On-board GPU chipsets is NOT recommended. Also not tested with ATI cards.
This seems to be the only unused sprite in the entire game (both Saturn and PSX versions). This was meant to be the Sunken Palace theme variation of the vessel object that you can destroy to collect items. I take it that it was removed because it resembled too much to the mines in the Sunken Palace. The mines were probably updated to spawn items after they exploded to make up for the lack of vessel objects in that level.